[gdal-dev] GDAL 2.2.0 beta 2 available

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Mon Apr 24 10:20:33 PDT 2017

Hi,

> - Shape: do not export Shapelib symbols for builds
> --with-hide-internal-symbols (#6860)

It turns out that the above change breaks QGIS 2.18 build, in particular the DXF2SHP
converter native plugin, since it does a nasty trick: the QGIS build tree has the shapelib 2.10
includes files, but relies on linking against shapelib symbols exported by libgdal. The plugin
apparently no longer exists in QGIS master, which builds fine against GDAL 2.2beta2.

So I'm not sure what to do:
1) revert #6860 and export again shapelib symbols from GDAL. But this apparently breaks
some other workflows
2) let distributions apply a patch to do this revert, while they use QGIS 2.18 or other code
that depend on GDAL exporting shapelib symbols
3) Change DXF2SHP plugin to use OGR API instead of shapelib, but I'm not feeling like I
would do that myself.

My opinion would be to favor 2)

Opinions ?

Even