[gdal-dev] Call for discussion on RFC68: C++11 compilation mode

Grizonnet Manuel Manuel.Grizonnet at cnes.fr
Mon Aug 14 18:44:02 PDT 2017

Hi all,

just want to share with you that we've got the same discussion recently in the orfeo toolbox project and we finally decide to move directly to c++14 in the next release (6.2). It is a more recent standard with for sure less new features than in c++11 but yet useful. Moreover it does not change a lot the minimum compiler version (gcc min version is 4.9 I think for c++14).

Will be glad to exchange also with you on strategies, pro/cons to then modernize the code.

You can find more information about the discussion about c++11 vs c++14 and few experiments which have been made with clang-tidy for OTB in the following RFComments and RFChanges:

https://wiki.orfeo-toolbox.org/index.php/Request_for_Comments-36:_Move_OTB_to_C%2B%2B14

https://wiki.orfeo-toolbox.org/index.php/Request_for_Changes-95:_Compile_OTB_with_C%2B%2B14_by_default

my 2 cents.

Regards,