[gdal-dev] ArcGIS Raster Geodatabase

Richard Barnes rbarnes at umn.edu
Sat Aug 19 06:39:57 PDT 2017

I'd like to be able to read ArcGIS Raster Geodatabases from within GDAL.

Based on some previous work by Even Roualt and James Ramm, I have a
working program to extract data and projections into GeoTIFFs available
here <https://github.com/r-barnes/ArcRasterRescue>.

There are still a few things to figure out, but this is functional
enough that it may be useful to people and, since I don't have access to
a large set of geodatabases, it's difficult to for me to get ahold of
the exotic examples which would help flesh it out. There are also some
things we may never know about the format because they are not used in
the wild, so perhaps everything is already working! For this reason, I
think it would be useful to build this into GDAL, and I'm willing to
give it a shot.

However, I'm not entirely sure how to proceed.

Since there are commonalities with the OGR OpenFileGDB plug-in, I could
copy that code wholesale and make the necessary modifications, though
this seems wasteful.

I could also modify the existing code, but then the plugin would be for
both GDAL and OGR, which seems to break the separation between the two
that I see in the source.

If you have thoughts about what is best, drop me a line off-channel and
we'll see if we can figure something out.

Best regards,
Richard