[gdal-dev] Call for discussion on RFC68: C++11 compilation mode

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Tue Aug 29 05:27:48 PDT 2017

On 14 August 2017 at 18:44, Kurt Schwehr <schwehr at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This is a call for discussion on RFC68 to set C++11 to be the minimum C++
> language version for GDAL trunk.  I've drafted the RFC based on work by
> Mateusz.
>
>   https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/rfc68_cplusplus11

Kurt,

In the GEOS RFC 5 I was not entirely correct regarding C++14 status in
compilers:

* GCC supports C++14 in GCC 5, and made C++14 the default C++ standard in GCC 6
* MSVC supports C++14 in Visual Studio 2017, not 2015.

Although I don't think GDAL codebase would benefit from C++14 features,
so there seem to be no practical benefit from jumping directly to
C++14 (as OTB did),
it indeed is important to ensure that GDAL compiles C++14 mode fine.