[gdal-dev] How to tell gdal_translate replace BLOCKA in a NITF to NITF conversion

Bugbuster philippe.ghesquiere at airbus.com
Fri Dec 1 08:42:25 PST 2017

Dear all,

I would like to modify all geolocation information in a NITF image. The
original image (*MyOriginalNTIF.nsf*) is not corrrectly located.

I know a way to make sure /gdal_translate/ will ignore ALL geographic
information form original image. I just need to compute my new NITF image in
*two steps* :
1) convert originial NITF image into a plain TIF image :
/gdal_translate -of GTiff -co PROFILE=baseline MyOriginalNTIF.nsf
MyOriginalNTIF.tif/

2) convert the intermediate plain TIF image into NITF with my coputed
location information :
/gdal_translate -of NITF -a_srs epsg:4326 -gcp xxx -gcp yyy -gcp zzz -gcp
ttt -co TRE=BLOCKA='001000.....010.0' MyOriginalNTIF.tif
MyNewRelocatedNITF.nsf'/

This is not very efficient. I would like to do it in a *single step*.
However, the direct /gdal_translate/ from NITF to NITF does not work as I
expect it : the new BLOCKA is ignored and I always get the *original
BLOCKA*.

My question : is there a way to tell /gdal_translate/ (or NITF driver) to
consider the input image as a non-geolocated image ?

Thank you for your help
Philippe