[gdal-dev] FFI Interface (to Perl)

Kurt Schwehr schwehr at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 16:14:22 PST 2017

Cool!  Should be useful for other languages to see what is possible with
libffi

On Dec 20, 2017 3:23 PM, "Ari Jolma" <ari.jolma at gmail.com> wrote:

Folks,

I've been experimenting with the Perl module FFI::Platypus, to create a
Perl interface to GDAL with its help(1) and it's progressing well.
FFI::Platypus itself uses libffi, which is a portable interface library.
That, and Alien::gdal, which is a Perl module to use GDAL in a system that
has Perl, allow some significant simplifications and streamlining for the
Perl bindings.

I can imagine those leading to the retirement of the Swig based Perl
bindings at some point (like GDAL 3.0) and having only a single
distribution of Perl GDAL bindings that does not live in GDAL source tree
and is distributed through CPAN. In the meantime the Swig based bindings
will live in GDAL source tree and a copy of that with a modified
configuration system (that uses the Alien::gdal) in github(2) + CPAN.

I don't think I'm aiming at 100% similar API with the FFI interface than
Geo::GDAL since in the latter has accumulated some undesirable things over
the years. Anybody interested in the new API is welcome to collaborate.

Best regards,

Ari

(1) https://github.com/ajolma/Geo-GDAL-FFI

(2) https://github.com/ajolma/Geo-GDAL-2.02