[gdal-dev] Mosaic question...

Jonathan Greenberg jgreenberg at unr.edu
Mon Feb 6 14:33:19 PST 2017

GDALers:

I love the gdalbuildvrt -> gdal_translate trick for large mosaicks, but I
have a somewhat more complicated problem I was hoping I could get some help
on.  Given a large set of overlapping images, I want to mosaic using the
following "rules": 1) all overlapping pixels should be averaged together,
and 2) any "nodata" pixels in a given input image should be ignored in that
calculation.

Is this doable in GDAL?  Or am I stuck with just the "top" image in the vrt
being the value the output mosaic uses?

--j
Jonathan A. Greenberg, PhD
Randall Endowed Professor and Associate Professor of Remote Sensing
Global Environmental Analysis and Remote Sensing (GEARS) Laboratory
Natural Resources & Environmental Science
University of Nevada, Reno
1664 N Virginia St MS/0186
Reno, NV 89557
Phone: 415-763-5476