[gdal-dev] ERROR 6: No translation for Mercator_Auxiliary_Sphere to PROJ.4 format is known

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Wed Feb 8 03:21:43 PST 2017

On mercredi 8 février 2017 04:09:19 CET vinothrajendran4 wrote:
> Hi community,
>            I have downloaded shapefile(buildings) from QGIS. I am using
> virtual planet builder tool to integrate this shapefile  to my terrain
> database. The following error occurs,
>   *ERROR 6: No translation for Mercator_Auxiliary_Sphere to PROJ.4 format is
> known*
>
> I would like to know if there is any method to convert my shapefile
> projection to any known supported PROJ.4 format..

Recent GDAL versions (2.1 or later) should be able to dea with Mercator_Auxiliary_Sphere.
So virtual planet builder is likely using an older version.

You could try to do "ogr2ogr -a_srs EPSG:3857 out.shp in.shp" with a GDAL version < 2.1, but
I'm not completely sure it would be correctly detected as Web Mercator.

Or if virtual planet builder doesn't require EPSG:3857, you could also project to EPSG:4326
for example : "ogr2ogr -s_srs EPSG:3857 -t_srs EPSG:4326 out.shhp in.shp"

Even