[gdal-dev] Calibration updates for Sentinel 1 Driver for GDAL

Augustus augustusfrancis at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 05:48:23 PST 2017

Hi,

This query is based on extending the feature support mentioned in this
thread https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/gdal-dev/2016-May/044419.html

GDAL Sentinel driver doesn’t support calibration as of now. Right now we
have an implementation for sigma calibration with GRD datasets.
We are using this reference:
https://sentinel.esa.int/documents/247904/685163/S1-Radiometric-Calibration-V1.0.pdf

We would like to support full calibration capability and here are our idea
on how the architecture would be. Please forward your suggestions on the
same.
Option 1:
 Subdataset: Subswath along with polarization and Calibration combinations.
 Single Band
 Pros: Flexibility for user to select any combination
 Cons: Too many subdatasets

Option 2: (Preferred)
 Subdataset: Combination of swath and polarisation
 Bands: Sigma, Beta, Gamma & Uncalibrated Bands
 Pros: Lesser Subdatasets. Fixed Band Combinations

Option 3:
 Subdataset: Each swath
 Bands: Combination of Calibration and Polarization.
 Cons: Too many subdatasets, lesser flexibility

-Augustus