[gdal-dev] Best way to package and distribute GDAL data files

Emmanuel d'Angelo emmanuel.dangelo at pix4d.com
Tue Feb 14 06:48:57 PST 2017

Dear list,

I'm trying to package and distribute an application that relies internally
on GDAL for some raster / vector manipulation.

It may happen in some cases that a user of the application wants to take
her outputs to a different coordinate system (typically from some national
system to WGS84). As far as I can see, some of these transformations rely
on the content of GDAL data files (such as pcs.csv or datum.csv).

I can install these files locally and use the GDAL_DATA environment
variable to find them from my application. However, on the user side,
what's the recommended practice?
Do I need to ensure that my users have a GDAL_DATA variable set too with
the correct data files? I've looked at the build system files, but I
couldn't find a way to set this path relative to my application (which
would let me install these files inside the app package and distribute them
with the application).

Any hint to put me on the right track would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Emmanuel