[gdal-dev] scidb (array db): Perhaps backend for WMS, WCS, WPS with gdal and mapserver

Peter Baumann p.baumann at jacobs-university.de
Sat Feb 25 04:37:57 PST 2017

Hi Markus & listers,

just to avoid someone doing duplicate work: the rasdaman array database
(www.rasdaman.org) is supporting these standards already, being official OGC and
INSPIRE reference implementation. In doing so rasdaman utilizes GDAL for both
import and export, so there is a fruitful collaboration between both open-source
projects already.

For those who do not know rasdaman:

- it supports WMS, WCS, WCPS, and WPS as geo interfaces, and our users are
regularly combining rasdaman with MapServer, OpenLayers, Leaflet, QGIS, NASA
WorldWind, python, and many more.

- it allows federated queries, caching, distributed array joins and several more
goodies that make it stand out.

- Public installations exceed 250 TB. In the US, rasdaman has been tagged a top
Big Data solution (the only Array DB that has received this recognition) [3].
Benchmarks show superior performance, see [1] and evaluations published at AGU
2015 by U Wisconsin/Madison and GMU. G. Landgraf, senior manager at the European
Space Agency, this January stated that "The RASDAMAN product is currently the
world leading environment in this domain and the standard working horse for OGC
standardisation on these innovative data access interfaces."

- rasdaman has pioneered the field of array databases [0]; SciDB and several
others (SciQL, Teradata, Ophidia, Google Earth Engine, ...you name it) are
taking up the rasdaman idea of a query language with a dedicated server
architecture (ours being based on "tile streaming").

- The rasdaman array query language is blueprint for the several "Big Data"
standards, including:

    * ISO SQL MDA (Multi-DImensional Arrays); after thorough investigation of
all options (including SciDB an PostGIS Raster) the rasdaman query language has
been selected by the ISO SQL group as the only viable alternative. [1]

    * OGC Web Coverage Processing Service (WCPS), an array language with geo
semantics. [2]

- it is part of OSGeo Live DVD since a couple of years.

We very much encourage interested developers to team up for joint GDAL/rasdaman
work (futher projects welcome, of course)! And scientific publications, of course.

cheers,

Peter

[0] Peter Baumann: /On the Management of Multidimensional Discrete Data./ VLDB
Journal 4(3)1994, Special Issue on Spatial Database Systems, pp. 401 - 444

[1] D. Misev, P. Baumann: /Enhancing Science Support in SQL/. Proc. Workshop
Data and Computational Science Technologies for Earth Science Research
(co-located with IEEE Big Data), Santa Clara, US, October 29, 2015[2] P.
Baumann: /The OGC Web Coverage Processing Service (WCPS) Standard
<http://www.springerlink.com/openurl.asp?genre=article&id=doi:10.1007/s10707-009-0087-2>/.
Geoinformatica <http://www.springerlink.com/content/100268/>, 14(4)2010, pp 447-479
[2] G. Merticariu, D. Misev, P. Baumann: /Measuring Storage Access Performance
in Array Databases/. Proc. 7th Workshop on Big Data Benchmarking (WBDB),
December 14-15, 2015, New Delhi, India
[3] http://bigdata.cioreview.com/vendor/2016/rasdaman

On 02/24/2017 01:31 PM, Markus Böhm wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I hope this question is in the right place here. If not -- sorry.
>
> We do some experiments with the community edition of scidb
> (http://www.paradigm4.com/), an array database founded by Michael Stonebraker.
> Scidb is often used with R und python. There are allready gdal drivers
> (https://github.com/appelmar/scidb4gdal) to load data into scidb.
>
> I think those drivers are mainly for import and export of data in/from scidb.
> I tried to use that gdal driver in mapserver to visualize an gdal-uploaded
> array. It works already but seems to be  slow. Maybe I am using it wrong but I
> suppose that this driver is not intended to perform well for example in
> mapserver.
>
> Perhaps an enhanced scidb driver would be an interesting objective for gdal.
> Scidb seems to be great with arrays and mulitple dimensions can be worked
> with. In my opinion it would be quite interesting to have scidb as backend for
> WMS, WCS and WPS services that could be set up with mapserver and gdal. I
> think gdal would be the right tool to implement a driver.
>
> Perhaps someone already thought about a combination of scidb, gdal and mapserver?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Markus

Dr. Peter Baumann
   mail: p.baumann at jacobs-university.de
   tel: +49-421-200-3178, fax: +49-421-200-493178
   www.rasdaman.com, mail: baumann at rasdaman.com
"Si forte in alienas manus oberraverit hec peregrina epistola incertis ventis dimissa, sed Deo commendata, precamur ut ei reddatur cui soli destinata, nec preripiat quisquam non sibi parata." (mail disclaimer, AD 1083)