[gdal-dev] Don't we have any ideas for GSoC 2017?

Hare, Trent thare at usgs.gov
Tue Feb 28 15:58:20 PST 2017

I would be a fan of indexing a VRT also.

There have been some good apps written in AMES Stereo Pipeline which could
be "ported" to GDAL trunk. They work within their application so perhaps
they are not needed within GDAL...?

1.) dem_merge (which works for images too). It has a very nice exponential
blend edge option and works for non-square edges. This is a large program
though.
2.) the also have a C++ version of Frank's hsv_merge.py which is much
faster. This is much simpler.
https://github.com/NeoGeographyToolkit/StereoPipeline/tree/master/src/asp/Tools
manual: http://byss.ndc.nasa.gov/stereopipeline/binaries/asp_book-2.5.3.pdf

I would love to see any methods for tonal matching across images. Simple
matching histograms and then running a script through a gdal_translate with
a defined "stretch"..? Or here is a cool method to tonal match using
another layer as the driver. There might not be code is not available (but
it might be explained enough?). Also the author could be contacted.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0032063315300477

just a couple more ideas,
Trent