[gdal-dev] OSM - delineation of rivers

Simon Lyngby Kokkendorff silyko at gmail.com
Sun Jan 1 09:17:58 PST 2017

Dear List,

  I have some issues getting river boundaries out of OSM data when using
GDAL to read e.g. an OSM xml file downloaded via the overpass API. Using
e.g.:

>ogr2ogr -t_srs EPSG:3857 -f SQLITE -dsco SPATIALITE=YES --config
OSM_USE_CUSTOM_INDEXING NO map.sqlite map.osm

>ogrinfo --version
GDAL 2.1.0, released 2016/04/25

Specifically I have been trying with the River Thames in London. For some
parts of the river it works, and I get features in the 'lines' layer with
waterway='riverbank', that are closed. But for many locations I get no
features (lines or multlipolygons) that can be used to bound the river -
links to some images and OSM data below.

When running the ogr2ogr command, I do get an errror:

ERROR 1: Too many tags in relation 62149,

which is not unusual though..

However, the osm2pqsql tool seems to be able to handle the various cases
and I do get nice polygons bounding the river.

Hope that someone can shed some can shed some light on what can be done. Is
it a complex situation, that OGR currently cannot handle, or can I tune
some parameters or the osmconf.ini file to be able to handle these cases? I
am aware that rivers can be tagged in several different ways.

OSM data:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97068354/map.osm

Images:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97068354/London_thames.png