[gdal-dev] C++11 timeline

Andrew C Aitchison andrew at aitchison.me.uk
Fri Jan 6 00:50:51 PST 2017

On Fri, 23 Dec 2016, Kurt Schwehr wrote:

> I would like to continue the C++11 discussion over the next couple weeks
> while many people are on slower development cycles with a proposal:
>
> * Starting 2017-Mar-01, we switch GDAL trunk to require C++11 support from
> the compiler.
> * All prior branches would stick with their existing requirements for C++03
> support
 		...		...
> This would not be a free-for-all on C++11 features.  I think we would want
> to just start with removing some of the macros and workarounds that are
> currently in the code base.  Until we decide to go forward with other
> features, the main changes that would happen in C++ only code after this
> would be:
>
> - Change NULL to nullptr
> - Drop virtual when using the override keyword (this becomes a req with
> C++17)
> - CPL_OVERRIDE -> override
> - Remove HAVE_CXX11 #ifs
> - And maybe some other things I missed

Are there many people maintaining/developing *plugin* drivers for gdal
- I know of the ECW plugins; are there any others ?

I am working on a couple of private drivers for proprietary formats,
and find it useful that I can use the same source to build plugins for
GDAL 1.11 and 2.1.2.

Would the changes to nullptr, CPL_OVERRIDE etc. make it harder to maintain
plugin code for old and new versions of GDAL ?

--
Andrew C Aitchison