[gdal-dev] GDAL S57 "New Object"

Damian Dixon damian.dixon at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 00:55:01 PST 2017

The following is really for information...

New Object is an interesting one. It's used to extend the features
available in S-57 by the data provider without the need to modify the
standards (S-57 & S-52).

Normal a New Object is only created when there is a pressing need to
represent something new that is important to display. The only time I have
seen New Object is in test data.

The drawing instructions are normal embedded in the object itself rather
than being rules defined by the S-52 rendering tables. This means that
attributes may not be present.

So while you will be able to read the object, displaying it correctly may
not be so easy.

Regards
Damian