[gdal-dev] Bus error on gdal.Open

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Tue Jul 25 02:37:13 PDT 2017

On mardi 25 juillet 2017 11:00:36 CEST Grégory Bataille wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have the strangest issue and I don't know how to address it.
> I'm running on a *mac*. I have *gdal 2.2.0* installed on the system.
> I have a python 3.5.2 *virtualenv* (same behavior in 3.6.1)
> inside I have a number of libraries, including django and the *GDAL
> bindings*.
>
> If from this virtualenv I open a *ipython* console and try to gdal.Open a
> TIFF, *all works well*.
> If I open a *django console* (django manage.py shell) in this virtualenv
> and try to perform the same operation, I get
>
> > TIFFReadDirectory: Warning, Unknown field with tag 42112 (0xa480)
> > encountered.
> > TIFFReadDirectory: Warning, Unknown field with tag 42113 (0xa481)
> > encountered.

This is weird. Those are the TIFFTAG_GDAL_METADATA and TIFFTAG_GDAL_NODATA tags
that are defined by the GDAL GTiff driver. So if you open something with GDALOpen() that
shouldn't happen normally

I'm wondering if in your whole system you don't have several libtiff versions mixed together.
How is your GDAL configured ? If it uses internal libtiff and libgeotiff, make sure to ./
configure --with-rename-internal-libtiff-symbols and --with-rename-internal-libgeotiff-
symbols so that the internal libtiff and libgeotiff in GDAL do not collide with other.

Even