[gdal-dev] libcurl and the certificates and Windows

Joaquim Luis jluis at ualg.pt
Sat Jun 3 09:04:07 PDT 2017

Hi,

For quite some time I cannot use the 'vsis' because of certificates issue.
For example, a GMT test that has a command like this no longer works on
Windows

gdalinfo
/vsicurl/http://larryfire.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/untooned_jessicarabbit.jpg

because

ERROR 11: HTTP response code: 301 - SSL certificate problem: unable to get
local issuer certificate
gdalinfo failed - unable to open
'/vsicurl/http://larryfire.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/untooned_jessicarabbit.jpg'.

It used to work but probably with an older libcurl dll.
The above is with my own build gdal and dependencies (libcurl included)
but the same happens with the gisinternals binaries.

I have re(and re)ad this page about the certificates

https://curl.haxx.se/docs/sslcerts.html

but regarding Windows and the curl-ca-bundle.crt file what is said about
it simply does not work. The only thing that works is setting the ENV
variable

set CURL_CA_BUNDLE=V:\bin\curl-ca-bundle.crt

Now, we had this in GMT recently and I used the nuke option

	curl_easy_setopt (Curl, CURLOPT_SSL_VERIFYPEER, 0L);	/* Tell libcurl to
not verify the peer */

so tried to do the same thing in the GDAL code (the obvious point seamed
to be VSICurlSetOptions in cpl_vsi_curl.cpp) but still does not work.

OSGeo4W works but probably because they are still using a 4 years old
libcurl.dll

Am I the only one seeing this?

Thanks

Joaquim