[gdal-dev] RV: question how to get spot and landsat share a common grid.

Petr Pridal petr.pridal at klokantech.com
Mon Jun 26 23:14:15 PDT 2017

Juan,

> An enhanced gdal2tiles could possibly handle your case by generating a
custom WMTS tiling scheme where you would define the zoom levels, but this
has yet to be written.

MapTiler Pro is the enhanced GDAL2Tiles which is being actively developed
for years now - and it is able to do this (next to many other things - such
as boost in rendering speed, significantly smaller size of the produced
tiles, reprojection on the way, cutline clipping, palette expansion,
MBTiles output, WMTS compatibilty, support for native mobile apps, very
fast tile upload to S3/GCS, cluster processing mode, etc.).

If you want the .deb or .rpm instalers of MapTiler for your linux distro,
or the Windows or Mac binary, just fill the form at
http://www.maptiler.com/demo/.

You can also use the MapTiler Pro on a command line directly with this
docker command:
$ docker run -ti --rm -v $(pwd):/data klokantech/maptiler maptiler -help

See https://www.docker.com/ and  https://hub.docker.com/r/
klokantech/maptiler/ for more details. Files in local directory can be
processed easily on any computer where docker is installed - without a need
to resolve GDAL installation dependencies and proprietary drivers.

If you are limited by the size - I recommend to try rendering into WebP as
an alternative to JPEG. WebP can be made with option "-f webp" and it will
have half the size of JPEG tiles probably. Android tables should be able to
display these fine.

There is a manual describing the functionality of the MapTiler software:
http://manual.maptiler.com/.

If you render the Mercator tiles (and resample your rasters to more
detailed resolution - probably native zoom +1), then everything is done
with a single command on CLI.

If you really want to preserve the pixel perfect native resolution and
fiddle with dirrent grids and resolutions on different zoom levels, then
you may be interested in the advanced options at:
http://manual.maptiler.com/en/stable/usage.html#defining-a-
custom-tiling-profile-for-a-specified-coordinate-system

If you need help - just drop me an email. We can also render for you the
sample data if you upload them to https://www.klokantech.com/upload/ and
let me know.

Best regards,

Petr

P.S.
Recently we have also made a free mobile app for Android and iOS tables -
which displays GPS position on top of maps and can help to collect the
field data into GeoJSON - even offline. See: http://blog.klokantech.
com/2017/05/geoeditor-mobile-app-for-maptiler.html and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuoKvq03nNA

Disclaimer: I am the original author of GDAL2Tiles, and also the leader of
the team behind MapTiler Pro product, which is not open-source - but it is
fully powered by open-source components. We contribute back to GDAL (such
as with PDFium driver) and FOSS4G community (with EPSG.io, TileServer GL,
OpenMapTiles, WebGL Earth, and many other open-source projects and patches).
--
Petr Pridal, Ph.D.
CEO

Klokan Technologies GmbH
Hofnerstrasse 98, 6314 Unterageri, Switzerland
Tel: +41 (0)41 511 26 12 <041%20511%2026%2012>
Email: info at klokantech.com
Web: http://www.klokantech.com/