[gdal-dev] Overcome attribute name limitation in shapefiles

Peter Halls p.halls at york.ac.uk
Mon Mar 6 05:56:10 PST 2017

Felix,

      following your proposal would make Shapefiles cease to respect the
dBaseIV Standard and potentially seriously affect their interchangability.
There are a range of alternative formats supported by GDAL that achieve
your goal: for example, I use SQL as my base format and only convert when
necessary.  SQL is generally accepted by other packages and is far more
flexible than dBaseIV.

Best wishes,

Peter

On 6 March 2017 at 13:26, Felix Obermaier <obe at ivv-aachen.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>

> is it somehow possible to overcome the attribute name length limitiation
> of DBase files using GDAL? If so, how?
>

> If not, why not add (another) file the shapefile dataset of shapes (shp,
> shx), projection (prj), data (dbf) and encoding(cpg), one that is (re-)
> defining the column names, allowing for
>
>    - mixed casing,
>    - non-ASCII characters,
>    - more than 10/11 characters
>

> I’m aware of a software product that does it this way. The file that
> renames the columns is set up like a CSV file defining two columns, „Name“
> and „Alias“. „Name“ is the actual name of the column, „Alias“ the name in
> the dbase file header.
>

> Felix Obermaier

> Ingenieurgruppe IVV GmbH & Co. KG
>
> Dipl.-Ing. Felix Obermaier
>
> Oppenhoffallee 171
>
> 52066 Aachen
>

> Telefon: +49 (241) 94691-39 <+49%20241%209469139>
>
> Telefax: +49 (241) 531622 <+49%20241%20531622>
>
> eMail: obe at ivv-aachen.de
>
> Internet: http://www.ivv-aachen.de
>

> Sitz der Gesellschaft: Aachen
>
> Amtsgericht Aachen HRA 6212
>
> Geschäftsführer:
>
> Dipl.-Ing. Wolfgang Hölsken
>
> Dr.-Ing. Stephan Krug
>
> Dr.-Ing. Dirk Serwill
>
> IVV-Management GmbH
>
> Amtsgericht Aachen HRB 12453

Peter J Halls, Post-war Reconstruction and Development Unit (PRDU),
                      University of York

Snail mail: c/o Research Centre for the Social Sciences (RCSS),
        University of York,
        Heslington, York YO10 5DD

This message has the status of a private and personal communication