[gdal-dev] sqlite -> spatialite (rowid)

a.furieri at lqt.it a.furieri at lqt.it
Tue Mar 7 13:18:33 PST 2017

On Tue, 07 Mar 2017 20:41:26 +0100, Even Rouault wrote:
> I see that in the SQLite/Spatialite driver the primary key column is
> created just as INTEGER PRIMARY KEY, whereas in GeoPackage the
> standard requires that is INTEGER PRIMARY KEY AUTOINCREMENT.

Hi Even,

spatialite_gui and spatialite-tools as well usually declare
INTEGER PRIMARY KEY AUTOINCREMENT (e.g. when importing some
external Shapefile).

> The SQLite doc mentions that AUTOINCREMENT is "a little slower" due
> maintaining the sequence, but not sure if that's dramatic.

from my direct experience on the field: no, isn't dramatic at all.
(at least: under the most usual conditions).

> So wondering if that makes sense in the SQLite driver to switch to
> AUTOINCREMENT and/or make that an option.

+1

such a choice will surely contribute to a better and smoother
integration between "vanilla" spatialite and GDAL/OGR, possibly
avoiding to create slight misalignments eventually leading to
puzzling issues very hard to be correctly understood by average
users (that are not usually expected to be high rank pundits
possessing a complete mastership of sqlite).

bye Sandro