[gdal-dev] ogr2ogr -sql and -nln

Mike mswope at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 05:09:44 PST 2017

I'm getting this
Warning 1: layer names ignored in combination with -sql.

However, I need to use the -sql query as I'm adding fields and populating
them as I go.

The source dataset cannot be edited.

I'm trying to combine several datasets into various tables in PostGIS,
where there's a name difference between the source layer and the PostGIS
table name.

my command is in this format.
ogr2ogr -f PostgreSQL -a_srs "EPSG:4326"  PG:dbname=SomeDB <insert some
options> Sourcedata -nlt POLYGON -skipfailures -explodecollections -sql
"SELECT *,'VALUE1' AS valuefield, 1 as anotherfield FROM <layer> WHERE
OGR_GEOMETRY='POLYGON' OR OGR_GEOMETRY='MULTIPOLYGON'" <layer>

I wish to not put it in a table named <layer> in my PostGIS/SomeDB, but
rather <layer>+somesuffix

This is easy with -nln, but when I added the -sql, I get the warning above,
and it seems to drop it in just <layer> and not <layer>+somesuffix.

How can I accomplish what I want?
This is ultimately run on many datasets, so it will be appending to
existing tables (or create them if they didnt exist yet).

-Mike