[gdal-dev] Symlinks to VRTs

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Wed Mar 8 13:46:15 PST 2017

On mercredi 8 mars 2017 22:37:42 CET Luis Ressel wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Mar 2017 21:28:34 +0100
>
> Even Rouault <even.rouault at spatialys.com> wrote:
> > The relevant piece of code is in
> > https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/blob/trunk/gdal/frmts/vrt/vrtdataset.cpp#L73
> > 9
> >
> > If you look a bit below in
> > https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/blob/trunk/gdal/frmts/vrt/vrtdataset.cpp#L81
> > 4
> > there's an open option ROOT_PATH that could be set to b/ to get the
> > behaviour you wish.
>
> Thanks for the hint! Adjusting the ROOT_PATH is an acceptable solution
> in my use case.
>
> Interestingly, GDAL used to handle symlinks to VRTs in the way I'd
> expected, but this was changed back in 2013 (commit 66b3918df in the
> git repository, committed by you).

Looking at the commit message, it appears that this change was contributed by someone
else from https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/4999
But my intuition is that the current behaviour is more natural than the previous one (ie the
one you'd expect). But obviously different people have different use cases.