[gdal-dev] Delete implementation of OGRMemDriver

Vautour, André (INT) Andre.Vautour at Teledyne.com
Thu Mar 30 05:59:09 PDT 2017

Hi all,

We recently updated from 1.11.x to 2.1.3.

Previously, GDAL had the ODrCDeleteDataSource capability, which the OGRMemDriver did not handle in its TestCapability implementation. So, in effect, the memory driver did not support deletion, which makes sense to me.

>From what I can tell, that capability was removed in favor of every driver supporting delete. My question is did, should calling Delete() on the OGRMemDriver with an existing file name delete the file on the file system? That seems to be what is happening, which is not what I would have expected. In our workflow, we were doing a CreateCopy to copy a source to the memory driver, but using the same name for the destination.

I can work around the problem by setting the QUIET_DELETE_ON_CREATE_COPY option, but I was wondering if delete being implemented on the memory driver makes sense.

Kind regards,
André