[gdal-dev] Dropping dlopen/LoadLibrary loading of proj.4 ?

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Sat May 6 12:09:42 PDT 2017

Ivan,

> I understand the good intention of cleaning up code but that should not
> remove functionality. You are breaking backward compatibility. What if
> someone updates GDAL in some installation, proj4 is there and it will not
> going to be used?

Well that would be documented in the release notes... There are a number of breaks in each
new release. That's not really different. And the way of solving in the case you mention is
rather simple.

> I my case, I *cannot* distribute proj4 into my GDAL build

I've the feeling you're abusing -1 for a reason which you mentionned privately to me but in
my opinion isn't really valid for the rest of the community. But this is not an important
enough topic for me to fight about and create useless tensions among contributors.

So I'm dropping the ball on this. For posterity, my patch is at:
https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/6882

Even