[gdal-dev] ogr2ogr mapinfo reporjection

Jonathan Beliën jbe at geo6.be
Mon May 8 06:39:35 PDT 2017

Hello everyone,

I struggle to reproject GeoJSON file to TAB (or MIF) file.

The source projection is EPSG:4326 and the destination projection is
EPSG:31370 (Belge 1972 / Belgian Lambert 72 – Belgium :
http://epsg.io/31370)

I searched forums and mailing lists and saw that there was some issues with
reprojection using Mitab but that it is supposed to be fixed.

When I try the following command, the coordinates seems to be transformed
but the « coordsys » header in the TAB (or MIF) file is wrong (WGS84 – Non
Earth)

ogr2ogr test.mif test.json -f "MapInfo File" -dsco FORMAT=MIF -s_srs
EPSG:4326 -t_srs EPSG:31370

If I understood correctly what I read on the Internet, that’s because Mitab
does not recognise « EPSG:31370 » ;

31370.txt » contained the WKT definition of EPSG:31370 ;

I saw in the ogr2ogr documentation that there is a « MITAB_BOUNDS_FILE »
parameter but did not find out how to use it
(http://www.gdal.org/drv_mitab.html) ;

I also searched in « /ogr/ogrsf_frmts/mitab/mitab_spatialref.cpp » to see if
« Belgian Lambert 1972 » existed and it does :

{ 0,    1019,"Belgian 1972 7 Parameter",   4, -99.059, 53.322, -112.486,
-0.419, 0.83, -1.885, 0.999999, 0},

So I suppose it should be possible to create a MapInfo file projected in «
Belgiam Lambert 1972 » but I do not understand how ?!

Any help or idea is welcome !
Thanks a lot !

Jonathan Beliën

GEO-6