[gdal-dev] ogr2ogr PROMOTE_TO_MULTI with linestrings?

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Mon May 15 17:25:39 PDT 2017

On 5/15/2017 6:15 PM, Stephen Woodbridge wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to load both polygons and linestrings and would like
> PROMOTE_TO_MULTI to work for both, but it appears to define Multipolygon
> type and does not work for linestrings/multilinestrings.
>
> Maybe it would make more sense to have:
>
> PROMOTE_TO_MULTI - work for either polygon or linestring depending on
> what the first object is
>
> or have two options like:
>
> PROMOTE_POLY_TO_MULTI
> PROMOTE_LINE_TO_MULTI
>
> Or maybe, I'm totally missing something in the docs.

Sorry, forgot to add:

ogrinfo --version
GDAL 2.1.0, released 2016/04/25

ogr2ogr -t_srs EPSG:4326 -nln census.roads -nlt PROMOTE_TO_MULTI -f
PostgreSQL -append PG:dbname=buildings host=localhost port=5432
user=postgres active_schema=census
/u/ror/buildings/data/census/tmp-11/tl_2016_06061_roads.shp
Warning 1: Geometry to be inserted is of type Multi Line String, whereas
the layer geometry type is Multi Polygon.
Insertion is likely to fail
ERROR 1: ERROR:  Geometry type (MultiLineString) does not match column
type (MultiPolygon)

---