[gdal-dev] Write overviews directly to S3

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Thu May 18 09:50:06 PDT 2017

> Even - I found methods to check for VSI errors:
> https://gist.github.com/pedros007/55c6e33224596fb4d8e9e6b68b24ed9b#file-simp
> levsimemfile-py-L73-L74
>
> Are these intended for public consumption?

With care...

> When reading from a
> /vsimem/foo.shp with gdal-2.2.0, gdal.VSIGetLastErrorMsg() reported an
> error "No such file or directory".

Probably because the shapefile driver probed a side-car file that didn't exist (the .sbn you
mention below) but wasn't required. VSIGetLastErrorMsg() is mostly for internal use by
GDALOpen() (at least it was designed for that). Users will normally call
gdal.GetLastErrorMsg() or gdal.UseExceptions() to have exceptions for user-visible errors.

Rule of thumb:
- gdal.VSIGetLastErrorMsg() can be used if you use low-level API like gdal.VSIFOpenL() that
aren't verbose normally.
- for higher level like gdal.Open(), use gdal.GetLastErrorMsg() or gdal.UseExceptions()