[gdal-dev] OGC announces a new standard that improves the way information is referenced to the earth

Robert Coup robert.coup at koordinates.com
Wed Nov 1 03:17:55 PDT 2017

On 31 October 2017 at 15:09, Stadin, Benjamin <
Benjamin.Stadin at heidelberg-mobil.com> wrote:

> I think there is a real need for such concept, but in my opinion there
> needs to be a default model and algorithms in order to be relevant.

I know Pyxis has a pile of patents in this area:
https://www.google.co.uk/search?safe=off&tbm=pts&source=hp&q=Pyxis+innovation

And while OGC members are (AFAIK) required to license/not enforce patents
*directly* relating to specs <http://www.opengeospatial.org/about/ipr>,
this spec specifically isn't an implementation...

> *As with any spatial reference, and especially an approach that is early
> in adoption, intellectual property rights pertaining to various methods of
> creating and using DGGS should be expected. For example, there exist
> multiple patents for indexing DGGS, and the implementers of this Abstract
> Specification should make themselves aware of these patents.Attention is
> drawn to the possibility that some of the elements of this document may be
> the subject of patent rights. *

<cynic> Maybe that's one reason why? </cynic>

Rob :)