[gdal-dev] WCS GetCoverage with AxisOrder swap

jratike80 jukka.rahkonen at maanmittauslaitos.fi
Wed Nov 8 06:42:09 PST 2017

Even Rouault-2 wrote
> On mercredi 8 novembre 2017 14:50:54 CET Ari Jolma wrote:
>> Ari Jolma kirjoitti 08.11.2017 klo 13:48:
>> >  for MapServer and GeoServer I need to have at least two hack options
>> > (NoOffsetSwap and NoGridEnvelopeSwap, maybe there could be only one).
>> > I have not yet checked if the rasters returned from those two are ok.

Hi,

I fear that we are going in circles, see this not-so-old thread
http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/gdal-dev-GML-lat-lon-coverages-and-interoperability-td5315441.html

I wonder if we should open a new wiki page for the discussion about WCS 2.0
axis order and if we should define swapped axis by using
GridFunction-axisOrder="+2 +1">Linear which means "take the second number
and increase the first offset vector with it, then take the second number
and increase the first axes", or by writing the offset vectors as "first
number is moving me from top to down, the second number from left to right".

I got an impression that in that thread seven months ago the offset vector
solution without using GridFunction was more or less recommended by Dr.
Baumann at least for easy coverages like aerial images. I would like that
too because then client software would not need to know what are
GridFunctions, just to read the offset vectors right.

I also wonder that if client is supposed to handle axisOrder="+2 +1">linear,
should it then be able to handle also everything else that is defined on
page 223 of 437 of the GML 3.2.1 standard in chapter "19.3.14 sequenceRule,
SequenceRuleType, SequenceRuleEnumeration"

-Jukka Rahkonen-