[gdal-dev] Removing the *raster* OGDI driver ?

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Thu Oct 12 08:40:45 PDT 2017

On jeudi 12 octobre 2017 17:29:56 CEST Markus Neteler wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 11, 2017 at 2:24 PM, Even Rouault
>
> <even.rouault at spatialys.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I propose to remove the raster OGDI driver from trunk (the vector OGDI
> > driver is still useful for VMAP/VPF/DCW)
> >
> > There should be no reason to use it anymore since GDAL supports out of the
> > box (and probably in a more efficient way) all the raster formats the OGDI
> > bridge offers: ADRG, DTED and RPF (CADRG/CIB)
>
> Probably that's fine - in case that legacy data need to be converted
> one could still go back to an older GDAL version.

Or make the needed fixes in the GDAL drivers. But OGDI is less than maintained, so I
strongly think that the corresponding GDAL own drivers are more capable.
One thing that makes me think that the raster OGDI driver isn't used is that nobody has
raised bugs on it in recent years as far as I can remember, and I don't believe in perfect
software. Something that is used inevitably generates bug reports (valid or invalid),
questions, enhancement requests, etc..

Even