[gdal-dev] /MD vs /MDd for DEBUG MSVC builds

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Mon Oct 16 14:20:11 PDT 2017

On lundi 16 octobre 2017 23:01:52 CEST Tamas Szekeres wrote:
> Looks like I've missed this thread earlier, but according to this change we
> might either compile all the dependent libraries for /MDd (at least for the
> statically linked libraries) or we trust in that GDAL is safe to compile
> against a different CRT than the dependencies. That means that GDAL won't
> free up memory that have been allocated in either of the dependencies or
> vica versa. I'm not completely sure if the latter applies.
>
> The earlier approach was a bit more like the RelWithDebInfo setting in the
> cmake terminology which is not considered as a wrong setting, but that has
> it's own purpose. At the moment I'm not aware of any binary distributions
> or SDKs out of the box which would be compatible with the /MDd setting,
> that causes that DEBUG=1 has a fairly limited usability from now on.

Ah Windows...

I guess the people who complained did builds with none or little dependencies.

Perhaps adding a RELWITHDEBINFO=1 flag that would expand to

OPTFLAGS= $(CXX_ANALYZE_FLAGS) $(CXX_PDB_FLAGS) /nologo /MP /MD /EHsc /FC /
D_CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE /D_CRT_NONSTDC_NO_DEPRECATE /DDEBUG

(ie same as default build but without /Ox and with /DDEBUG)

would help ?