[gdal-dev] WCS driver

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Tue Oct 24 03:28:44 PDT 2017

> The netcdf files I looked at through the GDAL driver had time and/or
> depth offered as different gdal layers, and offered different variables
> (i.e. different coverages) as subdatasets.

Yes, although in the WCS case, a coverage can have several bands, and thus using the band
mechanism to reflect the N>2 dimensions can become confusing.

The only clean solution to that would be to have a true multidimensional raster support at
the GDAL API level, but that's a rather involved effort.

> Which other GDAL drivers give direct access to time-varying raster
> stacks in single files?

I guess HDF5, as it is really close to netCDF.

GRIB could potentially be used to have time-varying raster, although, from what I saw,
generally you put instead different variables for the same forecast time in the same file. But
technically you couldx just concatenate any amount of GRIB messages into a single file and
this will be seen as a multi-band raster by GDAL.

Even