[gdal-dev] WCS driver

Ari Jolma ari.jolma at gmail.com
Tue Oct 24 03:41:36 PDT 2017

Even Rouault kirjoitti 24.10.2017 klo 13:28:

> > The netcdf files I looked at through the GDAL driver had time and/or
>
> > depth offered as different gdal layers, and offered different variables
>
> > (i.e. different coverages) as subdatasets.
>
> Yes, although in the WCS case, a coverage can have several bands, and
> thus using the band mechanism to reflect the N>2 dimensions can become
> confusing.

Also in NetCDF the time dimension may be as bands - at least I have
marine research data which opens first as having two subdatasets (mean
and max wave height) and then as bands (the monthly values).

> The only clean solution to that would be to have a true
> multidimensional raster support at the GDAL API level, but that's a
> rather involved effort.

Above the division to subdatasets and bands seems arbitrary and perhaps
not user controllable. I agree it would be useful to have a better data
model in this respect.

Ari