[gdal-dev] Multidimensional raster support in GDAL

Edzer Pebesma edzer.pebesma at uni-muenster.de
Tue Oct 24 07:16:43 PDT 2017

I changed the subject, which was "WCS driver"; although it is still
relevant for the WCS driver, it's really about GDAL's abstraction.

On 10/24/2017 12:41 PM, Ari Jolma wrote:
> Even Rouault kirjoitti 24.10.2017 klo 13:28:
>>

>> > The netcdf files I looked at through the GDAL driver had time and/or
>>
>> > depth offered as different gdal layers, and offered different variables
>>
>> > (i.e. different coverages) as subdatasets.
>>

>> Yes, although in the WCS case, a coverage can have several bands, and
>> thus using the band mechanism to reflect the N>2 dimensions can become
>> confusing.
>>

> Also in NetCDF the time dimension may be as bands - at least I have
> marine research data which opens first as having two subdatasets (mean
> and max wave height) and then as bands (the monthly values).

Yes, bands is what I meant; sorry for confusing this.

>> The only clean solution to that would be to have a true
>> multidimensional raster support at the GDAL API level, but that's a
>> rather involved effort.
>>

> Above the division to subdatasets and bands seems arbitrary and perhaps
> not user controllable. I agree it would be useful to have a better data
> model in this respect.

In my earlier email to this list [1] I suggested to allow querying bands
about their time, which would help deal with the case where a large set
of bands refers e.g. to both depth layers and time steps, in some order.

I too think that multidimensional raster support would be useful.
Besides by drastically redesigning data structures, could we get there
incrementally?

[1] https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/gdal-dev/2017-October/047381.html

> Ari
>

>> > Which other GDAL drivers give direct access to time-varying raster
>>
>> > stacks in single files?
>>

>> I guess HDF5, as it is really close to netCDF.
>>

>> GRIB could potentially be used to have time-varying raster, although,
>> from what I saw, generally you put instead different variables for the
>> same forecast time in the same file. But technically you couldx just
>> concatenate any amount of GRIB messages into a single file and this
>> will be seen as a multi-band raster by GDAL.
>>

>> Even
>>

>> --
>>
>> Spatialys - Geospatial professional services
>>
>> http://www.spatialys.com

Edzer Pebesma
Institute for Geoinformatics
Heisenbergstrasse 2, 48151 Muenster, Germany
Phone: +49 251 8333081