[gdal-dev] Multidimensional raster support in GDAL

Ari Jolma ari.jolma at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 00:39:38 PDT 2017

Edzer Pebesma kirjoitti 26.10.2017 klo 10:26:
> More in general, we have multidimensional arrays where horizontal space
> is not an x y image (GDAL raster band) but for instance a sequence of
> feature geometries (e.g., in situ sensor data, or demographic data by
> administrative region, time, and age class). We may want to keep those
> use cases in mind when working on this from the GDAL perspective, since
> pretty soon you will want to cut out a point or region, or aggregate
> grid values over a polygon area while keeping all other dimensions.

With vector data the case is different, yes. You may have 'a thing'
(say, a province), whose spatial representation changes significantly in
time along with its characteristics (say, population). Or you may have a
moving sensor.

But with raster data, I'd stick very strongly to the notion that the
spatial representation is immutable. The only thing that may be
important(? I may disregard something here) is that when you do
reprojections, then the area that the cell represents changes. Is this
too strong statement?

Ari