[gdal-dev] Multidimensional raster support in GDAL

Ari Jolma ari.jolma at gmail.com
Fri Oct 27 03:28:57 PDT 2017

Even Rouault kirjoitti 26.10.2017 klo 20:17:

> > Would it be possible to keep X,Y as it is and add support for
>
> > multidimensional data as an extension?
>
> That could be indeed an option if we are sure that the 2 first
> dimensions are X and Y, and we want only to slice higher dimensionnal
> variables to X,Y.

Assuming we have a X,Y,Z,T dataset of sea temperatures (Z is depth), we
may want to warp it from projection A to B and then select a location
and look a Z,T image from that location. Warping would work on X,Y and
compute the Z,T as an extension what it now does for the pixel values
(possibly multiple bands). I could imagine that the user would want to
use GDAL for slicing the Z,T into an image - GDAL can write image files,
so why not?

So perhaps the assumption for only slicing to X,Y is not ok.

> So instead of having a general purpose indexing mechanism as I
> scetched initially an option would be to expose the extra
> dimensions/axis, their bounds. The user could set the values at which
> to set the values at which those extra dimensions must be considered,
> so as to get a fully constrainted X,Y indexed field.
>
> The main advantage of this is that it would have presumably no impact
> on 2D-only drivers.

I assume that would be very good from the point of view of actual
feasibility of the whole project.

Ari