[gdal-dev] Representing a grib file as a netCDF

Norman Barker norman.barker at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 06:39:34 PDT 2017

Hi,

I am currently working on representing a grib file as a netCDF file within
GDAL. My plan is that if a user specifies the netCDF driver and opens a
grib file then the metadata from the grib will be represented as a netCDF
and the data can be read through that driver.

It may seem a bit odd since GDAL has a fully functional grib driver but it
matches the use of the netCDF model when reading grib within most
meteorological packages and enables me (and hopefully others) to match the
metadata conventions in other packages.

Any feedback appreciated, I am working on this now and will have code for
review shortly.

Thanks,

Norman