[gdal-dev] RFC68: C++11 compilation mode - Call for vote on adoption

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Wed Sep 6 10:11:44 PDT 2017

On mercredi 6 septembre 2017 19:04:34 CEST Mateusz Loskot wrote:
> On 6 September 2017 at 18:58, Andrew Bell <andrew.bell.ia at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 6, 2017 at 12:14 PM, Kurt Schwehr <schwehr at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Now that Tamas has added the msvc2015/2-17SDK's, I'd like to call a vote
> >> by the PSC on RFC68: C++11 compilation mode.
> >>
> >> The draft is here:
> >>  https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/rfc68_cplusplus11
> >
> > I'm late to the party, but I guess I don't understand a few things in the
> > RFC.
> >
> > In Plan:  If c++11 mode is enabled, won't ALL code need to be C++11
> > compliant, rather than just new code?
>
> Any existing code which does not compile as C++11 will have to be updated.

This is mostly a theoretical case. We have buildbots that compile in C++11 and ran tests for a
couple of years now (and one in C++14). And by default (since GDAL 2.2 I think) ./configure
already enables C++11 on all C++11 capable compilers.

There are perhaps a few niche drivers that depend on third-party SDKs and that people have
not compiled in years, but they might be broken in other aspects, so not much of a concern.