[gdal-dev] git(hub) migration ?

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Wed Sep 6 11:40:23 PDT 2017

On mercredi 6 septembre 2017 21:16:46 CEST Dmitry Baryshnikov wrote:
> Hi Even,
>
> I think this is great proposal. Github is modern tool for develop, code
> review and test software.
>
> I like idea to migrate code and tickets (3). Not sure we need to migrate
> closed tickets.

I'd wish closed tickets to be migrated as well (I don't think this is more complicated to
migrate both opened+closed tickets than just opened tickets). More than once I had to "svn
blame" and was happy to be able to find a reference to a >10 year old ticket that gives some
context for a change. Tickets are true assets of a project (at least for the developpers) (I was
thinking to suggest the "fossil" SCM (*) which has the big advantage of including tickets in
the repository, but of course we would miss the increased social collaboration aspect with
such a choice :-))

> Also it worth thinking to migrate only the 2.x code
> tree.

I'd like the whole history to be preserved in the migration.

> There are not so many releases in 2.x, so branches can be convert
> to tags manually.

We could indeed probably create the tags manually without recreating the whole clone.

> Anyhow you made me thinking about this.
> By the way this work may be the subject of GSoC 2018 (not sure if this
> allowed by program).

I don't think that would be appropriate for GSoc which requires coding for a project.
Infrastructure work like this is not allowed AFAIK.

Even

(*) https://www.fossil-scm.org/xfer/doc/trunk/www/index.wiki