[gdal-dev] RFC68: C++11 compilation mode - Call for vote on adoption

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Wed Sep 6 13:22:18 PDT 2017

On 6 September 2017 at 21:53, Kurt Schwehr <schwehr at gmail.com> wrote:
> I was just about to write something along the lines that follow, but Mateusz
> looks to have more of an understanding.
>
> My best guess was that it is an incomplete install of Windows?  e.g.
>
> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2999226/update-for-universal-c-runtime-in-windows

Universal C Runtime and Universal Windows Platform are two different beasts.
Universal C Runtime is part of Windows 10+ system
Kurt's link above leads to installer of Universal CRT for older
Windows versions.

Here is into to Universal CRT
https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/vcblog/2015/03/03/introducing-the-universal-crt/

It is all related to the fact that VS2015 and VS2017 are binary compatible.