[gdal-dev] Cloud Optimised GeoTiff format

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Fri Sep 8 09:25:45 PDT 2017

On vendredi 8 septembre 2017 08:50:36 CEST daunnc wrote:
> Hi again!
>
> According to the validate_cloud_optimized_geotiff.py script, overviews can't
> be stored in a separate .ovr files. Are there any reasons why it was done?

Because as the dictator of the cloud optimized geotiff spec, I decided so ;-) More seriously,
the whole idea of C.O.G is to minimize the number of HTTP GET requests and the amount of
bytes transferred. If the overviews are in a separate file, that increases it a bit. But yes, it
could be discussed if it is allowed or not (similarly it will require files to be tiled starting with
a certain dimension. strip organization could probably be considered valid in some context
too). There could also be several levels of compliance/optimization. The current script is a bit
black&white currently.

> Can in theory there be any problems related to overviews storage in a
> separate .ovr file?

That works fine too. Will require at least one extra GET request.

Even