[gdal-dev] illegal axis orientation combination when re-projecting

Nick Cummins nickmcummins at icloud.com
Tue Sep 12 14:55:31 PDT 2017

I'm trying to re-project a lidar point cloud file using PDAL, which uses GDAL under the hood. When re-projecting a .las tile which I was previously able to successfully transform the coordinate system from EPSG:4269 (lat/lon) to a US state plane projection, EPSG:102749, I now get the following error:

(pdal pipeline filters.reprojection Error) GDAL failure (1) illegal axis orientation combination
(pdal pipeline filters.reprojection Error) GDAL failure (1) Reprojection failed, err = -47, further errors will be suppressed on the transform object.
*** Error in `pdal': munmap_chunk(): invalid pointer: 0x00007f4ab1fec400 ***

I was looking online and found someone with a similar issue when running ogr2ogr to re-project a shapefile. I am able to reproduce an error running the command and data described:

ogr2ogr -f "GeoJSON" -t_srs EPSG:4326 dest.json TOWNSSURVEY_POLY.shp
*** Error in `ogr2ogr': munmap_chunk(): invalid pointer: 0x00007fced25ef400 ***
[1]    21243 abort (core dumped)  ogr2ogr -f "GeoJSON" -t_srs EPSG:4326 dest.json TOWNSSURVEY_POLY.shp

Any ideas on what could be going wrong, or at least some pointers as to how I can pinpoint the source of the problem? My gdal-config --version is 2.2.1.

Thanks,
Nick