[gdal-dev] Cannot delete layer - table is locked

Nik Sands nik at nixanz.com
Sun Sep 17 19:25:47 PDT 2017

Hi GDAL devs,

What is the correct way in GDAL/OGR to release locks on the layer (in this case the SQLite tables in a geopackage) so that the layer can be deleted from the data source?

My issue is that after writing new features to a layer, I may want to delete the layer completely, but when I do so using:

	OGR_DS_DeleteLayer()

I get errors like:

ERROR 1: sqlite3_exec(DROP TABLE "rtree_Track_2017_09_18_12_14_09_Line_geom") failed: database table is locked
ERROR 1: sqlite3_exec(DROP TABLE 'Track_2017_09_18_12_14_09_Line') failed: database table is locked

What is the correct way to handle this situation, so that I can add features to a layer, but then delete it?

Cheers,
Nik.