[gdal-dev] git(hub) migration ?

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Mon Sep 25 06:55:43 PDT 2017

On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 02:10:46PM +0200, Even Rouault wrote:
> Hi Sandro,
>
> Thanks for your feedback.
>
> > It is still Gogs.
> > The plan is to switch to Gitea (http://gitea.io)
>
> There's some irony that gitea.io points to github.com for their own code. Not particularly
> reassuring regarding the maturity of the solution.

Yeah, it's not a mature solution. The same applies to Gogs, but
Gitea has a larger community, which should help in the long run.

If anyone want to follow the road to self-hosting, here's the
relevant ticket: https://github.com/go-gitea/gitea/issues/1029

> * social one: GH is (may be my biased perception) currently the place by default to host your
> FOSS project. It might change in future years (as sourceforge or google code have faded
> away). I'd note that a number of people already find by themselves the github GDAL mirror,
> although it is not advertized very prominently.

So this part is already covered.

> * technical one: sufficiently rich set of features. One of my past grief that you couldn't attach
> files to tickets has been removed a few months ago (you can attach zip)

Yes, Gogs/Gitea are not as mature as Trac. That's why GEOS
kept Trac for ticketting.

> It is hard to compete against GH on that (or any other hosted solution
> which has consumers paying for that service)

It is hard, I know. I've no intention to compete, only hope that
OSGeo will still provide infrastructure to those who feel the need
for it.

> As far as I can see, only GEOS has
> migrated to https://git.osgeo.org/gogs

Librttopo has its official home there too:
https://git.osgeo.org/gogs/rttopo/librttopo

> https://git.osgeo.org/gitlab is only used as a mirror for now.

As far as I know, yes. Nobody seemed to be interested in using it
for real work (I briefly tried to setup gitlab-ci but gave up on
first failure - "open-core" business model wasn't appealing for me)

> > there's a command line github client (it's called "hub") which
>
> Interesting. Probably this one https://github.com/github/hub ?

Yes.

--strk;