[gdal-dev] [SAC] Access to GDAL Trac database

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Mon Sep 25 11:45:17 PDT 2017

> I think SAC can be a significant asset for the member projects by mitigating
> the risk in things like GitHub. If we were to develop an automated way to
> clone things like the projects' GH repos, issues, etc. it would allow the
> member projects to take advantage of these services, knowing that they
> cannot end up stuck in a dead end simply because someone else's business
> model didn't pan out.

There are tools you can use to do that
https://github.com/josegonzalez/python-github-backup

See https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/gdal-dev/2017-September/047060.html for more
details

Mostly you need to setup a cron job invoking the tool to do ingestion of new GH tickets and
pull requests (backuping up the code itself is probably not even needed given how git works).
With normal rate of activity, it should run in a few seconds in incremental mode, once you've
done the initial import.

It would be my intent to set up one on my PC if/once we have migrated to GH, but would
indeed makes sense to run on a OSGeo server for several projects that have already gone
through the full GH way (thinking to mapserver, proj.4, openlayers, etc...)

I also found that GitLab has a functionnality to migrate from GitHub
https://docs.gitlab.com/ce/user/project/import/github.html
which could be used as an exit road if/when things turn bad.

Even