[gdal-dev] /MD vs /MDd for DEBUG MSVC builds

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Wed Sep 27 15:05:12 PDT 2017

On 2017-09-27 4:38 PM, Even Rouault wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For those who don't understand the title, you may skip this email ;-)
>
> Once again someone raised an issue about the MSVC runtime we use for
> DEBUG=1 builds:
>
> https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/7059
>
> and in https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/6384 about the same issue,
> there are 4 similar tickets raised.
>
> So it seems our default is a recurring problem.
>
> Personnaly I believe I've never used a Windows build, so I'm mostly
> indifferent
>
> Any opinion about using the debug MSVC runtime (/MDd) for DEBUG=1 builds
> instead of the current release runtime (/MD) ?
>
> Even

The fix proposed in ticket 7059 makes sense, I see the problem here in
my local nmake, so +1

But I don't understand Mateusz's response.  I think the change in ticket
7059 should be made, and no changes to any defaults, because packagers
by default are not sharing default builds.  Again, maybe I am
misunderstanding Mateusz's message.

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna