[gdal-dev] ZSTD compression for GeoTIFF

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Wed Feb 14 07:15:22 PST 2018

Hi,

I've just pushed in libtiff upstream, and its internal copy in GDAL, support for zstandard/
zstd compression [1], and the appropriate changes in the GDAL GeoTIFF driver.
This requires building libtiff (or GDAL with its internal libtiff copy) against libzstd >= 1.0
My findings are that single-core compression is at least twice faster with zstd than with
deflate, for equivalent or better compression rate. Decompression is a bit faster, but not
that significantly.

So a compelling use case for zstd is potentially in complex processing chains where you
have many intermediate internal products. At that point of adoption, I'd not recommend it
for consumer-facing products.

Even

[1] https://github.com/facebook/zstd