[gdal-dev] GDALCreateWarpedVRT and .msk files

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Mon Feb 19 04:42:46 PST 2018

Hi Sean

> I've noticed that while GDALCreateWarpedVRT does acquire nodata values, and
> thereby nodata-derived masks,

I see provision for that in GDALAutoCreateWarpedVRT(), not in GDALCreateWarpedVRT()

> from the source dataset, it does not pick up
> on a source's .msk file and does not acquire a source mask derived from
> that sidecar file.

I haven't tested in the warped VRT case, but I believe that should normally be automatically
done by
https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/blob/trunk/gdal/alg/gdalwarpoperation.cpp#L2022

Are you sure the .msk is properly recognized as a GDAL mask dataset by GDAL ? For example
when ou do gdalinfo on the source dataset. There is a compulsory metadata item that must
be set on the .msk. See
"For an external .msk file to be recognized by GDAL," in https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/
rfc15_nodatabitmask

Even