[gdal-dev] State and future of GDAL's Java interface

Kurt Schwehr schwehr at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 10:32:38 PST 2018

Hi all,

What are peoples thoughts on the SWIG/JNI interface to GDAL?  In using it a
little bit, I have some questions for the community.

1. Many functions drop type safety and go with raw int.  e.g. gdalconst...
Would people be open to using Enums?

2. There are many useful functions that are not SWIG wrapped for Java.
 e.g. I don't see a way to get bytes to or from /vsimem (or others)
directly (without using a raster or vector driver).  Are there thoughts on
adding those?

3. There is no java in autotest.  Are folks up for the addition of some
testing?  I've been working on JUnit 4 tests that I can contribute (and
switch to the GDAL license).  I will start putting what I have in autotest2
soon so at least folks can see what I have

4. What is the minimum version of Java that we must support?  Can we safely
add to the java side using features from newer versions?  e.g. try with
resources in
https://gist.github.com/schwehr/481dfbfad98815c6d45c3d22f12c41d0

Thanks,
-kurt