[gdal-dev] Compiling ECW 3.3 on MacOSX

Jeremy Palmer palmerjnz at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 21:32:07 PST 2018

Hi John,

On Fri, Jan 5, 2018 at 5:22 AM, John Daniel <etresoft at me.com> wrote:

> Hello Jeremy,
> I do have a handy patch for this library. I will send it to you in a
> private e-mail. It isn’t a small patch so I don’t think I should put it on
> the mailing list.

Thanks so much for the patch. For reference I have placed the patch here:
https://gist.github.com/palmerj/54fa389c4e60fa7b9f1d5ceea7ac3359

> I just tested it on High Sierra and it seems to build correctly. I just
> built the library. I didn’t try to use it or link it with GDAL. That brings
> me to my next question. Why do you want this old thing? It is hard to
> build, has questionable licensing, and there are better alternatives
> available. If you just need JPEG-2000 support, I would recommend the
> OpenJPEG project.

We have a need to read and write ECW files for a few small dev tasks. If it
was a read only task then I would use the newer version of the read only
ECW libs. I agree that open source JPEG-2000 options are becoming much
better, and would rather not touch the ECW format. In time I think we can
move to this.

Cheers,
Jeremy